The very small area between the anus and the vagina is called ‘Perineum’. Though small, this is an important and vital area of the lower part of a woman’s body because it holds many tissues that support the Vagina and Anus in their respective places. The muscles in this area are responsible for tightening and loosening the vagina.
Image Credit – My Vagina (myvagina.com)
Perineoplasty also called “Perineorrhaphy’ is the cosmetic (gynecology) surgery that is done to correct deformities, damages and defects of the Perineum. This surgery aims at removing any scar tissue, bulges, unwanted skin and loosening or tightening of the muscles and vagina. What can cause damages to the Perineum in a perfectly healthy woman? Read on to know what leads a woman to get perineoplasty done.
A couple of decades ago, very few women and men used to obese. However, with advent of technology and drastic lifestyle changes, many women (and men) started putting on weight to become over weight and then obese. This excessive weight puts strain on the body parts such as ankles, knees, hips and also the perineum. The extra weight stretches the muscles in this area causing them to lose elasticity. As a result, the stretched muscles don’t get contracted and to fix them, perineoplasty has to be performed.
Vaginal delivery becomes difficult for some women and they may have to exert a lot of pressure when delivering the baby. This damages the muscles and tissues in the perineum. Childbirth is the most common cause of damaging muscles in the perineum. Even in usual (not so complicated) vaginal delivery cases also, there is good amount of pressure exerted in this area. In some cases, the gynecologist may have to make an incision to the perineum for easy delivery and if the stitches are not done like the way they should be, can lead to improper healing of the tissues and muscles in the perineum.
Quick, Significant Weight Loss
As many would have noticed, when a person loses a lot of weight in a short span of time
(can be due to severe workout or with medication or steroids or extreme dieting), the
stretched skin doesn’t contract that fast. This leaves sagging excess skin in many areas of
the body including the pelvis and the perineum. The drooping skin has to be removed to
get the normal look of perineum using perineoplasty.
- Rectocele – Bulging of front wall of the rectum into the back wall of the vagina.
- Cystocele – Bulging of bladder that pushes the front wall of the vagina.
- Dyspareunia – Vagina doesn’t open up enough for comfortable intercourse. This hurts the woman badly when intercourse is attempted.
- Intraoital Vaginal Stenosis – Narrowing of the vagina (typically caused due to treatment of cancer)
- Incontinence – Involuntary loss of urine (Urinary Intontinence) Removal of Genital Warts
- Vulvar Vestibulities – Pain during intercourse
- Vaginismus – Involuntary contraction of the vagina when intercourse is attempted.
- Vaginal Laxity – Loosened vagina (can result in decreased sensation and orgasm)
- Vaginal itching
- For Aesthetic reasons – as mentioned above.
Perineoplasty is an outpatient procedure. Time taken for the procedure is around an hour. General or Local anesthesia is administered before the procedure. A ‘V’ shaped incision is made in the perineum area and required operation is done (removal of extra skin, tightening of muscles etc) using conventional methods or by using laser. Trained specialists use laser as it causes lesser pain and results in minimal blood loss along with quick recovery. After a brief stay at the hospital, the patient is allowed to go home.
Patient should not indulge in sexual activity for a period of six weeks. Lifting of heavy weights and heavy workouts should be avoided during this recovery period. The person should be able to return to work after a week post surgery.
In case of pain even after using the pain inhibitors (pain killers), you must see your gynecologist immediately. If there is any minor bleeding, you must immediately notify your doctor and take medical advice.
- Excessive bleeding
- Infection (When the surgery is not performed by a trained specialist, chances of getting an infection are higher)
- Constipation despite intake of fiber through fruits and vegetables.
- Foul smelling vaginal discharge.
Age and Child birth can cause serious and irrecoverable changes to a woman’s genitalia.
However, most of these changes can be reversed using advanced laser cosmetic
procedures. These procedures will not only bring back the confidence in you as a woman
but also lets you enjoy sensual sexual pleasures like when you were young.