Orgasm, the ultimate goal of sexual intercourse for many couples. You may be already aware that many women may have had clitoral orgasm more than vaginal orgasm. But, did you ever wonder if having an orgasm during pregnancy is ok? Does your orgasm or having sex during pregnancy hurt your baby? Read through to know more interesting facts.
Is it safe to have an orgasm during pregnancy?
From eating to avoiding stuff, I am sure you will be taking advice from your elders or friends or your gynecologist during your pregnancy. Then comes the next big question, whether you can have sex during pregnancy and if you do, will you be hurting your baby or causing a miscarriage.
As a general rule of thumb, if your gynecologist has not put your pregnancy under ‘high risk’ category and not said anything about ‘not having sex’, you are very much allowed to get into the sheets with your partner. If needed, you can dial your doctor and confirm once again. As per a study conducted on around 1500 pregnancy women, irrespective of whether they involved in sex or not, it barely made any difference during their labour. It was also noted that sex during pregnancy had nothing to do with premature birth, birth complications, rupture of membranes etc.
There are certain risky conditions (during pregnancy) when you won’t be advised to have sex:
- When the length of your cervix is less than 22mm. Women with shorter cervix are risk of having premature delivery.
- Spotting or bleeding during pregnancy.
- When the umbilical cord runs too close to your cervix
- When the placenta covers the cervix.
- If your water broke, you must say NO to sex. The amniotic fluid acts as a barrier between the baby and the outside world preventing any kind of infection passing to the baby.
Pelvic Rest – If your doctor has advised you to rest your pelvis, consider it as a ‘no to sex’.
Your mood and orgasm during first trimester of pregnancy
Many hormonal changes take place during the first trimester of pregnancy. You may be in good mood for having fun with your partner at one moment and in the next moment; nausea may kick in ruining the moment. Some women may show increased desire for sex. You may be easily stimulated as your breasts become more tender. The vagina lubricates more and the changes of reaching orgasm during this time are easier and more enjoyable. But some women may lose interest in sex and you should know that it is completely normal.
Orgasm during second trimester of pregnancy
This is a most pleasurable period to have sex considering the fact that your morning sickness is now a thing of the past, you don’t feel the nausea anymore etc.
- Increased blood flow to the uterus and vaginal area helps you in enjoying your bed time more. Your genitals become more sensitive and can reach orgasm sooner.
- Post orgasm contractions of uterus – After having good time and a satisfying orgasm, you may have some contractions in the uterus. Don’t worry about these, they are normal and you will be ok with little rest. If you had noticed, you would have had this even when you were not pregnant.
- You feel that your experience is not just good but great – As said, during pregnancy, hormonal changes take place and some hormones are produced in multiples of 10 or 100s then usual. Oxytocin is one such hormone that is produced more during pregnancy and when you have an orgasm, it is produced even more taking your pleasure to the heights.
Orgasm during third trimester
As the baby grows and uterus stretches more, sex may become difficult. You may have to get creative to have fun with your partner but you may not enjoy it as much as your did in the previous trimester. Talk to your doctor if you need any advice.
Does orgasm bring in labour?
In short, NO. It’s a myth. Eat all your feel like, take good walk and have fun, unless your doctor gave you a red flag for it. In a study done in 2014, doctors didn’t find any difference in women during labour between the two groups of women who had sex during pregnancy and who abstained completely.
Some frequently asked questions on pregnancy and sex
- Does having sex affect pregnancy?
No. Unless your pregnancy is categorized as high risk, no pleasure is off limits for you. You can enjoy sex more than before due to the changes in body hormones as some parts of your body become more sensitive to touch.
- Does pregnancy cause miscarriage?
No. Generally, miscarriage happens when the foetus doesn’t develop normally. Sex during pregnancy won’t induce early labour or cause premature birth.
- Bleeding or spotting after sex during pregnancy, what can I do?
Best is to talk to your gynecologist if you see spotting or bleeding after sex while you are pregnant.
- Feeling contractions in the uterus after sex, is that normal?
Yes, uterus may contract after sex. This can happen whether you are pregnant or not. A little rest should bring things back to normal.
- It hurts while having sex when I am pregnant, should I continue?
No. If any of your genitals or body parts such as those in the pelvic region hurt when having sex, stop and talk to your doctor.
- I am having orgasm in dreams at night while I am pregnant, is it normal?
Absolutely! Enjoy them.
- Does the position of sex influence the gender of my baby?
No, it’s a myth. The gender of the baby will be decided by the chromosome combination but not by your sex position while you are pregnant. During your third trimester, you may have to try different positions as the baby would have grown considerably inside you.
- I am not able to enjoy orgasms like before after delivery of my baby, what can I do?
Speak to your gynecologist to figure out the reasons. Some reasons can be mental and some physical. Depending on the diagnosis, appropriate therapy or Orgasm shot may be solutions.
In most of the cases, unless your gynecologist terms your pregnancy as risky, you should be good to have sex with your partner as long as you want it. If you have problems having an orgasm before or after pregnancy, you can surely let your gynecologist know; specialized cosmetic gynecologists may advise you to go for an orgasm shot. An orgasm shot is a day care procedure that is quick and helps you in achieving an orgasm.