Darker inner thighs, though not any medical condition, it can be bothersome for some individuals and for some; it can dent their confidence when spending intimate time with their partner. Darkening of inner thighs is caused due to over pigmentation of melanin, the pigment that gives colour to human body/skin (called hyperpigmentation). People who are overweight or obese can also see their inner thighs darken as they rub against each other when they walk/run. In some people, hyperpigmentation can spread to the front side of thighs, groin area and to the butts.
What causes darkening of inner thighs?
- As said, darkening of inner thighs can be observed in people who are overweight or obese as the thighs rub against each other when they walk/run.
- Hormonal Imbalance in women during pregnancy, lactation, menstruation or when going through PCOS problem.
- Medications used in Chemotherapy or due to oral contraceptives
- Over exposure to sun
- Reaction of skin to chemicals / creams used in the area
- Acanthosis Nigricans, a skin pigmentation disorder
- Diabetes – Actually diabetes puts a person at risk of developing darker inner thighs.
Are there any creams or lotions to lighten the darkness of inner things?
Yes, there are certain natural ingredients that can help in lightening the pigmentation that has occurred on the inner side of the thighs. They include soy, niacinamide, ellagic acid, lignin peroxidise etc. Some creams or chemicals that are available in the market have shown that they can cause allergic reaction. It is always advisable to talk to your gynecologist or a cosmetic gynecologist and get prescription based medicines that can lighten the skin on your inner thighs. Following are some of the procedures that your doctor may prescribe to lighten the darker skin on inner thighs:
- Hydroquinone – Any skin bleach that contains ‘hydroquinone’ can lighten the darker skin. The amount of hydroquinone varies with the product; your doctor is the only person to guide you what to use and at what frequency. You must also note that these products (that contain hydroquinone) can cause cancer, so, their usage is recommended only for a very short period.
- Retinoids – Vitamin A based retinoid products regulate skin cell growth and are used to lighten the skin hyperpigmentation problem. The drawback of using retinoid based products is that you need to use them for longer periods to see visible differences and it may also result in dry skin and more sensitive to sun light.
Laser therapy to lighten skin on inner thighs
Laser therapy for lightening of darker skin involves exposing the area to controlled laser light/energy by an experienced cosmetic gynecologist. The darkened skin when exposed to laser light removes damaged skin cells and helps in regeneration of new skin cells. These new skin cells result in the formation of lighter and younger looking skin. The treatment is safe and depends on the experience of the therapist performing the procedure. There are instances when inexperienced therapists performed the procedure and that resulted in scarring of the skin near the vagina and on thighs. It is important to see only a trained and experienced cosmetic gynecologist to get such procedures done.
Benefits of laser therapy for skin lightening
- This is the fastest way to achieve desired results.
- Laser therapy is suitable for most skin types. There are people whose skin doesn’t respond well to laser energy but the number is very small.
- When done by an experienced therapist, laser skin lightening doesn’t even leave any scar on your body.
How can you prevent darkening of skin on inner thighs?
- If you are obese or overweight and if your things are rubbing against each other, you must drop your weight and maintain healthy weight as per the standards.
- If you ride bicycle a lot, you need to make sure that your seat doesn’t rub against your thighs.
- Avoid frequent shaving and waxing of the pubic, groin area
- When exposing yourself to sun, use Sun Protection creams with SPF of at least 30. If the sun is hotter, go for a higher SPF number.
- Wear loose and comfortable inner wear than tight nylon based clothing.